Saturday, June 03, 2006

This week's update e-mail

This week's update e-mail has just gone out to everyone on the e-mail list, it's repeated here as usual:

Local Area Agreement – Walk the Ward

Firstly a huge thank you to everyone who took the time to answer the questions I posted last weekend, it was a great help and the council officers were very impressed that there had been such a good response from residents. I collated the responses in to a document that we used last night to discuss issues as we walked around.

Cycle Stands in Christchurch Road

One of the points raised last evening was the provision of stands for bicycles in Christchurch Road by the shops, the officers have agreed to put forward a proposal for these to be installed.

Telephone Masts

I’ve received notification of two more applications to be put forward by O2 for telephone masts in the ward.

The first is at the back of Southwick Road by the Railway Line, residents in the road have received a note from me telling them about the proposal and asking for their comments. I’m collating these today and will be responding to O2’s agents this weekend. No planning application has been made for this yet.

The second is a resurrection of the application for a mast by Tesco on Castle Lane. This time in a slightly different position, replacing one of the street lights that is there at the moment. Again, I’m opposed to this, there are locations that are as good further away from local houses and St Peter’s School. I have sent my response objecting to the site and will organise a write in campaign to the council should the application for planning come forward again.

Planning Appeals – 2 Ropley Road and 163 Harewood Avenue

I’ve been chasing the response from the Planning Inspectorate to the appeals for both of these sites. Apparently, we can expect a decision in the week commencing June 12th.

In the meantime enforcement action has been started to require the owners of 2 Ropley Road to tidy up the site.

Parking – General

You will no doubt have seen or heard about the problems with the validity of parking orders in the town this week. I have asked for a list of the roads where the regulations placing yellow lines have been incorrectly applied. I have been told that these are mainly in the town centre and are unlikely to cover our area, but knowing how these things are I would like to see the definitive list and have been told I should get this by Tuesday’s Council Meeting. If there are any problems with roads in our area I’ll let you know immediately.

Parking – Petersfield Road

I met with some of the residents from Petersfield Road this week to talk about their parking problems. We’ve agreed some action points which I will be sorting out this weekend. I prepared a briefing note about the current parking situation and yellow lines which I’ve attached to this message and which I hope might be of some help to you. It’s in Word format, so if you can’t open it please let me know and I’ll copy it across as an e-mail.

We have agreed to try a pilot of using notes from me to place on the windscreens of cars parked inconsiderately by local workers. If they persist then I’ll report the number plates to the local companies. We’ll see whether this elicits a more positive response from those people who insist upon parking right up against people’s drives.

Could you be a Recycling Champion?

Everyone in the council seems to be a ‘champion’ for something! This one is worthwhile though; Bournemouth's full kerbside recycling scheme will begin on September 4th. Reg Hutton, the Head of Cleansing and Waste at the Council, is looking for local people to be 'Recycling Champions'.

This will mean that you will receive information and education from the Reg's team. They will explain how the recycling system operates, in order that you can advise and encourage your neighbours about the new scheme.Please let me know if you would be interested in your name going forward for one of these positions.

Littledown and Iford Forum

Finally, a reminder that the first meeting of the revived Littledown and Iford Forum will be held this week. It’s on Thursday June 8th at 7.00pm at St Peter’s School in Holdenhurst Avenue (at the Castle Lane end). All three of your councillors as well as the Chief Executive of the Council and other officers will be attending to answer your questions. Do please try and come along.


Have a pleasant weekend

Best wishes

Nick

No comments: