Saturday, September 09, 2006

Conservative Councillor's Racist Comment


The Echo carried an article yesterday about the comments made by one of my colleagues from East Southbourne & Tuckton at the Cabinet meeting on Wednesday evening.

You can read the article HERE.

I've know Steve Clarke for some years now. I wasn't in the meeting when he made his comments, having left to attend a further meeting in the Town Hall. Steve is often outspoken and on occasion opinionated.

When I joined the Conservative Party in Bournemouth East I did meet some opposition because of my sexuality, most of it was subliminal, but some was overt. Steve and his wife Grace showed me kindness and solidarity throughout that period and encouraged many of their friends and colleagues to re-appraise their opinion of the gay community and of me.

Steve's comment was certainly unfortunate and frankly unthinking and pretty stupid. I know one thing for sure though, Steve Clarke doesn't have a prejudiced bone in his body. He's apologised unreservedly, I hope he'll do so again at the start of the Council meeting on Tuesday and that this will then be the end of this unfortunate episode.

No comments: